Welcome to RATANOOGA Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Toggle shoutbox RATANOOGA Chatbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Hey Ratanoogians! Don't forget, the chatbox is only for casual chat. Please post actual questions in the relevant section in the forums. :)
@  Maveth : (30 September 2014 - 01:22 PM) Thanks :) I will get a carrier soon
@  michele : (30 September 2014 - 01:15 PM) Ja. They should be fine in a box.
@  Maveth : (30 September 2014 - 01:07 PM) With some of their blankie
@  Maveth : (30 September 2014 - 01:07 PM) I'm taking my 2 girls to the vet this afternoon but I don't have a carrier. I just wanted to find out of a cardboard box would be okay for this trip?
@  lollyh : (30 September 2014 - 12:31 PM) I am online now maveth.whats up?. :)
@  Maveth : (30 September 2014 - 11:37 AM) Good morning. Anyone online at the moment?
@  Tails : (29 September 2014 - 09:33 AM) pleasure :) :)
@  Mavdb : (29 September 2014 - 06:24 AM) Thanks Tails!
@  Caryn : (28 September 2014 - 10:07 PM) Wooohoo! Thank you Tails :D
@  Tails : (28 September 2014 - 08:54 PM) So so SO sorry guys!!! In laws have left CPT now so my attention is 100% back on RN Calendar and Adoptions!!
@  robynlyn : (28 September 2014 - 01:20 PM) Just got an amazing cage whoop whoop why could my new babies have been here booo hooo! wish i could just fly to cape town and get them , stupid crate place!
@  Caryn : (28 September 2014 - 11:42 AM) Tails!! Why are you torturing us :cry: Rofl
@  Caryn : (28 September 2014 - 11:41 AM) lol I'm doing the same... keep hoping the calendar photo post will be up the next time I log in :P
@  katelit : (28 September 2014 - 11:06 AM) Me too Mavdb! I keep logging in to check! ;p
@  Mavdb : (28 September 2014 - 11:04 AM) lol the suspense is killing me, can't wait to see the calendar entries! :)
@  robynlyn : (27 September 2014 - 02:41 PM) ooo not getting my ratties this weekend i was so excited counted down the days, o well ill just play with my boys. and wait wait wait!
@  lollyh : (26 September 2014 - 04:38 PM) aww..lucky fishy cindyr.cant wait to see pics. :camera: sigh i blaim my mansion.it looks empty with 5 rats.4 teenagers & 1 adult.i only want 3 more.black self,a pew & a fawn. making my mischief 10 lol
@  Caryn : (26 September 2014 - 04:31 PM) You should always book two :P
@  CindyR : (26 September 2014 - 01:45 PM) Know exactly how you feel. Getting my newby end of next week hopefully, and it's like, just 1!! Maybe I should have booked 2.
@  lollyh : (26 September 2014 - 11:57 AM) Gmr is really working on me today. why!! :loopy: :puppy_dog_eyes:

Photo

Rats found in poor health, advise needed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

CaptainRat

CaptainRat

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • I own 9 rats

Good morning Ratanoogians or (Bad morning)

For those who didn't follow the post , On Sunday I went to go pick up 2 rats who were advertised on Gumtree,The paln was that they would go to Settican if all was well. The sight that greeted me was one of pure horror. Perhaps the worst case of neglect I have seen ever with rats. One PEW who looks like he will be fine as soon as he gets onto a healthy diet and gets good regular baths and his skincare gets sorted out . The other one Felix is just skin and bone with a long standing case of Myco. He seems blind in both eyes and very weak

I have Felix on Doxy/Baytrill for the myco but he is completely emaciated. He still eats quite well and gulps up all the veg he can stomach. I have him on some natural remedies aswel and I am taking care of his skin

Any advise one care would be greatly appreciated

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]<:3(CaptainRat)~~~~~~[/font]

[font="georgia, serif;"]"Rats are prolific, resilient and brave. In times of adversity they display all the characteristics we despise them for like cunning, determination and imagination ...."[/font]

[font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]Current occupants in Munkies' hotel for rats : Munkie, Bree, Peanut,Snow, Fiona , Heidi, Lucy [/font]

[font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]Current occupants in The Gentlemans clubhouse : Bchman & Turner [/font]

[font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]Mouselings House : Muis-hond [/font]

[font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]Dessert wanderers : Cloak and Dagger [/font]

[font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]Current occupants at the bridge : Cuddles, Pixi-Panda, Soup, Alex, Felix , Aladdin Sane [/font]

CaptainRat

CaptainRat

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • I own 9 rats

This is the other one Alex

Posted Image

[font="georgia, serif;"]"Rats are prolific, resilient and brave. In times of adversity they display all the characteristics we despise them for like cunning, determination and imagination ...."[/font]

[font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]Current occupants in Munkies' hotel for rats : Munkie, Bree, Peanut,Snow, Fiona , Heidi, Lucy [/font]

[font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]Current occupants in The Gentlemans clubhouse : Bchman & Turner [/font]

[font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]Current occupants at the bridge : Cuddles, Pixi-Panda, Soup, Alex, Felix , Aladdin Sane [/font]

AdvancingStar

AdvancingStar

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • I own 6 rats

Shame :( How could people be so cruel?!?!

I would reccomend some (Just a little bit) scrambled egg to stars bulking him up. It's easy to eat and does have quite a lot of protein so too much isn't good but it really helps keep condition on them (I gave it to the two pregnant does and their weanlings in my care and they thrived on it.)

Futurelife porridge is also great and is fortified with vitamins which might help give him an immune boost.

I give my boys kiddies vitamin drops in their water and that also boosts their immune systems.Also try giving him protexin or live probiotic culture yoghurt. It will help restore a good balance of flora in his gut and the yoghurt is also a nice treat and great to get meds into them.

Also maybe treat him for parasites? Maybe he has worms and that's stopping him from getting all the other nutrients he needs. If he is struggling to put on weight though and the other rat seems fine, maybe it's a medical condition like diabetes? In which case he's have to go to a vet.

[color=rgb(153,0,153);][font="arial;"]licks & Scritches From the Boinks (Remy, Jojo, Dancer, Cupid, Phantom & Mumble) & Angel Kisses from Splinter [/color]<3 [/font]

raggedtoothguppie

raggedtoothguppie

vesana servatrix rattorum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1717 posts
  • I own 11-20 rats

Do you know how old the rats are? Felix looks like a rat with renal failure. I have had quite a few rats who started looking like that around 18 months old and they get progressively worse but can still run around and be happy for several months. They get a sucked-in waist, you can feel their ribs but often if they had a bit of a belly then that stays for quite a while. I will take pics of my oldies later to show you for comparison. If it is renal failure, my vet suggests cutting out animal-based protein from the diet. As for his skin, it looks like he has buck grease (orange spots) which is normal, especially in older rats if they don't groom properly. With the spots, my best guess would be protein sores, from a diet too high in protein. A lot of people just feed the rats sunflower seeds and dog biscuits, both of which are high in protein. A normal healthy diet should sort him out if that's the case. Some studies have shown that you shouldn't mix medicine with natural remedies because some natural ingredients (like rooibos) can affect how the antibiotics work. So I would suggest only using one or the other. Or at least doing the natural remedies in the morning and antibiotics in the evening (or vice versa).

Keep up the good work and I hope these guys flesh out soon.

Posted Image

Janelle

Janelle

Teenage Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • I own 5 rats

I would suggest the Coconut porridge I have up on my Facebook page it's high in energy and fat which will help bulk them up and also give them the energy their bodies need to start healing. It has worked really well in the past week for 2 of my sickly rats. It smells great so they will tuck in.

Please make sure to use the organic variety. The ingredients last a really long time since a little goes a long way. I am totally bought over by this recipe as it's completely GMO free, wheat free, preservative free and you know what is going into it unlike cereal.

The great thing about coconut is that its nourishing, it helps with skin ailments, helps coat health, it kills bacteria, helps fight infections so it really is very good.

Posted Image

CaptainRat you know my FB page I would suggest taking a read on everything I have up on there. If you have any questions just PM me, . I can also help out with some remedies since we both live in CT. Also I can also give you some natural lice and flea removal that won't harm them.

Let me know what I can do. 

Edit: you are doing a great job and this is hectic. We are lucky to have people like you in our community! Keep us posted on the little dears. 

CindyR

CindyR

Teenage Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • I own 3 rats

Oh geez!!  That is so bad.  I feel so sorry for the poor babies.  I actally felt a pit in my stomach when I saw Felix.  Get him on ensure or the coconut porridge and hope he gets better soon and keep us posted.

CaptainRat

CaptainRat

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • I own 9 rats

Hey Ratanoogians

Thanks a million for the suggestions I will definitely use all the advise given, I have few tricks up my sleeve but have never dealt with neglect or health issues on this scale

I have started the de-worming process on Sunday and for the skin I have them on Aloverox Gel and clay powder in within 2 days there is a visible difference already and they seem a lot more "clean" I got this advise from my animal communicator / natural healer and it has worked wonders for my ratties in the past

I am going to stick to the "real" medicine for his myco and slowly introduce the natural stuff. I forgot about the Rooibos combating the prescribed medicine so thanks for the heads up. I have no idea how old they are .... very old would be my guess .

They (esp Felix) has taken a liking to cooked butternut. Their diet before hand and the bag of pellets I was handed was your run of the mill hamster mix. So old and stale it had those little bugs running inside, I actually stop along the road and threw it out on a field for the birds.

I have moved them to the Reggie Rat and normal rat mix I get from my local petshop for dry food.

I am keeping cooked veg in the cage so that the two can eat it as and when they please. I put some in yesterday morning and when I got home after work not a morsel was left.

Olive leave in the water and a drop of Sandle wood on Felixs'es chest to help with the hard breathing.

I do appreciate all the advice and tips and promise to report on this as often as possible , In fact I will do a separate post on them and their progress to keep you'all in the loop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users