UA-16177645-2

Welcome to RATANOOGA Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Toggle shoutbox RATANOOGA Chatbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Hey Ratanoogians! Don't forget, the chatbox is only for casual chat. Please post actual questions in the relevant section in the forums. :)

@  CindyR : (09 November 2017 - 08:51 AM)

I'm in too!

@  lollyh : (07 November 2017 - 12:23 PM)

ha!! i am in.woohooo. :clap: :thanx: :happydance: :yay: :ratlol:

@  lollyh : (30 October 2017 - 08:59 AM)

Rip my sweet Winston. :bigeyecry: I am gonna miss you sweet boy.you are with nougies in heaven.

@  lollyh : (24 October 2017 - 11:21 PM)

Yes I am Roos but I know their is a problem with the forums.it was put on Facebook..apparenting it was hacked & we waiting for tails to fix.on my pc it won't let me in.says decriptive website in big red writing.i am only getting in on my ipad. :ratsad:

@  Rattieroos : (23 October 2017 - 07:43 PM)

Hello..anyone still on here.?

@  lollyh : (23 October 2017 - 09:29 AM)

Hey everyone.is the forums back up & running?.

@  Rattieroos : (16 October 2017 - 11:28 PM) Oops wasnt finished. I will miss them like mad. :cry: :cry: :cry: This will no make my losses this year 9 :( :bigeyecry: I have 12 rescues left. My 10day old babies are turning 1 year tomorrow already. I will always have my few rats but I can't take on rescues anymore. At least for a while. Hope everyone is well.. sad to see the forum so quiet. I know I'm one of the quiet ones. @Lolly, thanks, missed you all too. I'm sure you and Winston miss her gentle nature. *hugs* *hugs*
@  Rattieroos : (16 October 2017 - 11:21 PM) Not able to be on much lately but had to tonight. I had to say goodbye to my beloved Grandpa Roo and his faithful Nibbs this evening. My heart felt like it was in pieces. Roo would have turned 3 next Tuesday. I keep expecting to see them in their cage or have them on the bed with me.
@  lollyh : (03 October 2017 - 09:07 PM) Hey Roos.yes!!. we have missed you. *hugs* thank you swty.miss her gentle nature so much. Poor Winston is also missing her too.
@  Rattieroos : (30 September 2017 - 08:31 PM) Hey all, haven't been on for ages. @ Lolly, so so sorry about Nougies :ratangel:
@  lollyh : (28 September 2017 - 09:01 PM) hehehe after all our rattie talking. :ratgiggle: .i forgot to ask you about the new posting method for here. lol
@  Caryn : (28 September 2017 - 08:52 PM) lol Was lovely to finally meet you in person after all these years :D
@  lollyh : (28 September 2017 - 03:54 PM) So today i finally got to meet my fellow noogan caryn today while up at the Spca.i was so excited to meet her.i screamed her name like a mad person. :clap: lol
@  Caryn : (27 September 2017 - 08:44 PM) Ah no :(
@  CindyR : (27 September 2017 - 12:56 PM) Aaarrrggggg! I can't seem to post any pics with this new image site. My pc refuses to work with it.
@  Tails : (19 September 2017 - 01:40 PM) for the most part, the NB images are done, but please drop me a PM or an email (not here in the chat) if you see any more 3rd party photobucket broken image links (excl posts made by members other than admin/Tails)
@  Tails : (19 September 2017 - 01:07 PM) yay banners done so far
@  Tails : (19 September 2017 - 12:39 PM) @lollyh, dont think he's a RN member :) and I'm so so sorry about Nougies :( :( :(
@  DiscoMoose : (19 September 2017 - 10:34 AM) i'm really sorry Lolly. She was most beautiful and special girl. I am thankful that she could go peacefully at home, with those she loves. <3 rest in peace dearest Nougies. All my love and compassion to you, Lolly <3
@  lollyh : (18 September 2017 - 09:56 PM) hi all.my very special nougies passed away this morning at 2:20am. :ratsadlook: .she reached 3 yrs & 2months.gonna miss her so much.she passed with sweet winston by her side till the end.

Photo

Order of introduction?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Amy

Amy

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • I own 2 rats

Hello fellow rattie parents :)

Last week I adopted a little PEW girl named Luna who is very brave and settling in nicely.  I have read lots and lots about introductions on Ratanooga Forums and in the rat handbook and on other sites too.  I know that when they do meet face to face in the bath it needs to be one at a time.  I was just wondering who Luna should meet first - Mama or Nibbler?  Mama is older and Nibbler is about the same age as Luna (maybe 2 weeks difference).  Both Mama and Nibbler are very sniffy and curious when smelling Luna through the cage bars or both her and their cages and when they go into her cage when she is out free roaming in another room.  Luna, however, is quite confrontational.  Her hairs stands on end she she gets quite defensive.  She is getting better and better each day though.  Should I wait until their is no sign of this hair raising etc. until they meet in the bath?  Anyway back to the main question of this post: should Luna meet Mama or Nibbler first in the bath?  I can't decide which would be better to make the introductions as easy as possible.  Mama is older than her and so maybe dominance won't be such an issue as Luna is probably more likely to submit to her than to Nibbler, her peer.  Or will that make it worse and she should rather meet her new bestie Nibbler first?  Sorry, I am overthinking this so much!  But I really want to make sure that there is the best possible outcome.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Caryn

Caryn

Rat + Horse Enthusiast!

• Moderators
  • 10939 posts
  • I own 21+ rats

Might be best to wait till Luna isn't too defensive.

I always introduce all my rats at once. Introducing one at a time rarely works as an existing rat may be fine with the new one but behave completely differently when they are back with their family members again around the newbie. Or at least that's been my experience.  I put all my current girls in the bath, then put the new ones in.  

• Amy likes this

RN_Signature_2016.jpg

Amy

Amy

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • I own 2 rats
Thank you so much Caryn! Ok all at once it is then. And I will wait until Luna is ready to meet them. She is progressing really well so I am hoping that it will be in the next few days.

Amber

Amber

Teenage Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • I own 8 rats
Hi Amy, I can't offer much advice unfortunately. I do put my whole mischief in the bath with the newbie when doing intros. I find single rat intros more difficult than double rat intros (two newbies vs one) but I think that is because I have such a large mischief. (8 currently) so I don't think my experience is really relevant to yours right now.

Good luck!

My Fur Kids: Angel, Raven, Mira, Belle, Selene, Clover, Raichu, Tsarevich, Phelene

My Loves in Heaven: Sammy, Erza , Rose, Vanessa, Katarina   :ratangel:

Amy

Amy

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • I own 2 rats
Thanks Amber :)

Rattieroos

Rattieroos

Crazy Rat Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3511 posts
  • I own 11-20 rats
Can't offer anything now but wanted to say congRATS on the new baby and hope all settle well soon. *hugs*
My current Ratties: Dove, Marybelle, Rosy, Ivy, Peaches, Plum and Duff (girls) Thunder, Doodle and Wallee (neutered boys) then my intact boys: Rodger and Dodger :ratlol: :tummykiss: :Kiss:

Always remembered, always in my heart, RIP my children: Sandy (our first ratty love) Pepper, Mickey, Snowy, Cloudy, Kellogs, Snoekie, Thing 1, Wotnot, Thing 2, Mischief, Monty, Barney, Seamus, Dolores aka Dilly, Jerry, Brian, Alfred, Patches, Stewie, Squeak, Bubble, Treble, Hayley, Onyx, Milo, Roxie, baby Bailey, FiFi, Bass, Bangerang, Emo, Nibbs and Roo :bigeyecry: :ratangel:

RIP my doggy loves: Andy and Toffee, loved and missed forever :cry:

CindyR

CindyR

Adult Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2075 posts
  • I own 3 rats

I have always just put together, run out of the room and come back 2 hours and hope that there are no problems  :ratgiggle:  :ratgiggle:

I had some really easy intro's and some not as great but still ok.  Some babies will be very defensive and scream blue murder, but after a while they start to open.

Try the bath or a neutral area and see what happens.  You also don't want to wait too long because as rats get older it becomes difficult to introduce.

Just remember, no blood then it's fine.  She will most probably carry on like banshees at first, but they're normally just being melodramatic.  Just keep as eye out.

Amy

Amy

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • I own 2 rats
Thanks fellow rat parents :) on Sunday I tried the first face to face intro in the bath. Nibbler and Mama were totally freaked out and just focused all their attention on escape. Which they did very successfully again and again. So I got in the bath with them all. Mama and Nibbler just climbed up onto my shoulders and sat for a bit and then made their escape repeatedly. I switched to plan b and sat on the bathroom floor with everybody. Mama and Nibbler were very chilled and sniffyou and friendly. Luna was a mean bully and pinned them down hard with paws on the neck and freezing over them. Mama and Nibbler totally submitted and just lay on their backs in terror. Then when Luna let them go I thought oh hey that was ok. But then she just hounded them and kept trying to bully them while they just tried to etc away eventually climbing me for refuge and I couldn't are it any more so I called it a day and separated them into their own free roaming areas again. I have been too scared to try again. I totally relate to you Cindy just running out the room cos watching that is too hectic. I just wanted to protect my babies and I am sure me being freaked out totally didn't help! I will try again soon. Probably tomorrow night. Bathroom floor with me in the bath so they can't come to me for help. Shower head at the ready to spray if there is a huge fight. I will try leave them and let Luna harass them for a while and hopefully she will stop after a bit and all will be good. Luna is already about 5 months old and Nibbler is about 6 months. Mama is about 8 or 9 months. Poor girl was still a baby when she had Nibbler and her brothers.

I shall try my best to be strong and let the bullying happen unless there is blood. Aaaah! This is so difficult for me. Haha. I reckon cos Mama and Nibbler are putting up no fight it is not such a bad intro.

Thanks for all the advice and well wishes. It helps to know that I am not alone and that others have gone through all this before.

Nibbler is chilling on my lap now cleaning herself and I am watching Luna through the windows to the sunroom of my flat climbing all over the laundry rack. I should probably nab them both and put them in the bathroom now. Mama is sleeping in her favourite nest behind my chair.
Woah essay. Sorry.
  • Rattieroos likes this

Amy

Amy

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • I own 2 rats

Aah I just chucked them all in the bathroom together and I stood in the bath. Then moved my way down to sit on the floor with them. It went so well! A bit of tackling and pinning and squeaking. No biting. Some stand up face off staring and boxing. Lots of butt sniffing. Nibbler power groomed Mama. But pretty good I reckon. All went well! Yay!

I will do it again tomorrow and for linger and keep that up until they are chilled and don't need supervision so I can leave them in there for hours together. Then they can move in together.

Wow this is much harder work then I thought it would be.
Than I thought it would be! Aah apologies for the bad grammar there.
  • Rattieroos likes this

Rattieroos

Rattieroos

Crazy Rat Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3511 posts
  • I own 11-20 rats
It's not easy to witness when our babies come running to us for rescue :( Wish all intros would be easy. Some personalities are just way stronger than others. I must say i think overall my boy intros have been easier than the girls, even though it should be the other way. Don't think we can ever really tell.
  • Amy likes this
My current Ratties: Dove, Marybelle, Rosy, Ivy, Peaches, Plum and Duff (girls) Thunder, Doodle and Wallee (neutered boys) then my intact boys: Rodger and Dodger :ratlol: :tummykiss: :Kiss:

Always remembered, always in my heart, RIP my children: Sandy (our first ratty love) Pepper, Mickey, Snowy, Cloudy, Kellogs, Snoekie, Thing 1, Wotnot, Thing 2, Mischief, Monty, Barney, Seamus, Dolores aka Dilly, Jerry, Brian, Alfred, Patches, Stewie, Squeak, Bubble, Treble, Hayley, Onyx, Milo, Roxie, baby Bailey, FiFi, Bass, Bangerang, Emo, Nibbs and Roo :bigeyecry: :ratangel:

Caryn

Caryn

Rat + Horse Enthusiast!

• Moderators
  • 10939 posts
  • I own 21+ rats

lol Girls are total cows!  

But yes, I must admit when I first started intros I'd panic at the first squeal.  Now after years of going through it, I hear them scream blue murder and pay no attention as mean as that sounds :P   It gets easier to tell what's seriously aggressive and to be concerned about and what's just normal pushing and bullying for an intro.  Sounds like your intros are going fine though with all the usual stuff, nothing to be worried about :)

• Amy likes this

RN_Signature_2016.jpg

Amber

Amber

Teenage Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • I own 8 rats
lol yea sounds like it's going fine so far :)
  • Amy likes this

My Fur Kids: Angel, Raven, Mira, Belle, Selene, Clover, Raichu, Tsarevich, Phelene

Amy

Amy

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • I own 2 rats

Thanks everybody.  Ja sheesh they run to me for help and rescue and I JUST DIE!  I am practicing deep breathing though - haha!  They have spent about half an hour together in the bathroom each evening this week and it is largely the same.  My plan is for them to spend at least an hour (hopefully more) together tomorrow during the day when they are sleepy.  I will try my best to do the "run out of the room" technique so I can't see their little faces of fear :(  

Sorry about the silly questions, but I am such an over-thinker and extra researcher!  Do they need to be 100% chilled with each with no dominance things before they move into a cage together?

Also after the bathroom hangouts the next step is to let them run around the flat all together?  I am worried that if I do this there will be territory fights as they each have their little favourite nests and stashes around the house.  So is it better to move them into a cage together that is all clean and re-organised with brand new bedding etc.?  Then they are stuck in a small space together that I can more easily monitor to make sure all is well.  Then I will clean out all the little stashes and nests around the house and wipe everything down to get rid of their respective smells so free roaming time is more neutral too.  Sorry again about all the questions!

Caryn

Caryn

Rat + Horse Enthusiast!

• Moderators
  • 10939 posts
  • I own 21+ rats

Sorry about the silly questions, but I am such an over-thinker and extra researcher!  Do they need to be 100% chilled with each with no dominance things before they move into a cage together?

Nope not at all.  I only do the bathtub once off personally.

My girls are also free roam, so I put them all into a cage together overnight for one or two nights to force them to interact and get used to each other in closed quarters and if nothing serious is happening then I let them loose after doing a thorough clean of everything.  

Rule of thumb is that there may be squealing, squeaking, power-grooming, scuffles, etc  and there always are to some degree.  But as long as no blood is drawn, let them sort themselves out.  If you separate them at the first sign of scuffles or squealing you're just prolonging the whole thing.  They have to be left alone to sort out their new family structure.  The bathtub is just a neutral "hello who are you" phase.  I guarantee you that the way they behave in there will never be the same as out of the bathtub anyway.  It's more a chance for them to just meet before the actual intro starts if that makes sense? :)

• Rattieroos and Amy like this

RN_Signature_2016.jpg

Rattieroos

Rattieroos

Crazy Rat Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3511 posts
  • I own 11-20 rats
Amy, no question is a silly question and never feel you have to apologize for asking anything. All that means for us is that you want to do things the best as you can and that's a good thing :)

Like Caryn said, I also don't do the bath more than once. But sometimes i even use a couch or bed that is neutral territory for all of them. You haven't had anything major happen yet so I would also say move onto the next step. A good idea is to give the cage a thorough clean with vinegar water as that neutralizes the wee smell. When you re-hang things in the cage, also after a wash, try put things in different places. Like change the structure of the cage a bit so that it seems different or new to Mamma and Nibbler as well. Even wash the food bowls and put clean dry food in. Basically try get the old smells out as much as you can... then plonk them all in at the same time and either watch for a bit or sit in a room close by so you can hear if there's a scuffle (not the occasional squeak, but a fight, you WILL hear the difference)

What I sometimes do is while redoing and cleaning the cage is I put all of them into a small travel cage..so no one can run away or hide in a favorite spot.. and have them in the room with me ( only during intros mind you) then put them into the cleaned cage once I'm done if their time in the little cage together has been without incident.

I would personally get them happy in their new cage together and give them a few days to adjust before letting them free roam together. Otherwise if Luna gets a scare or they have a go at each other she might run and hide and then it'll be difficult to get her out. Always a 'rule of note' the longer a scared rat stays out the more scared they become.

Now, having said all that, it hasn't always worked 100% I still use different methods based on the rats personalities etc some intros take ages and others very quick with little incident. Some I have used other methods as well and some took months of short visits everyday and eventually I got a different cage completely. Some people put a drop of vanilla essence on the bums above their tails but again, that doesn't always work.

It does sound like they'll be fine, aside from being shy, scared and/or inquisitive, which are normal. Just make sure you've cleaned the cage well and please let us know how it goes *hugs*

Edited by Rattieroos, 02 June 2017 - 01:00 PM.

• Amy likes this

Amy

Amy

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • I own 2 rats

Ok thanks so much for the advice!  Shew I am quite relieved to hear all that.  Alright I am going to try and mentally prepare myself to do it tonight and chuck them all in a clean cage together that is rearranged with brand new bedding!  I will let you know how it goes.   :crossfingers:  They are running around and nesting and snoozing now so I reckon that I will do it after dinner.  Or if I am too chicken tomorrow morning  :ratgiggle:

:thanx:

• Rattieroos likes this

Rattieroos

Rattieroos

Crazy Rat Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3511 posts
  • I own 11-20 rats
All the best :crossfingers:

Amber

Amber

Teenage Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • I own 8 rats
Hope it goes well Amy! :D

Amy

Amy

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • I own 2 rats

I did it on Friday night!  Super clean cage with brand new bedding.  Everything (levels water bowls, etc.) all rearranged so that it was like a new cage.  Everything was fine.  some pinning and squeaking and stuff but mostly totally fine.  I kept waking up all night on Friday and checking on them and Nibbler and Luna were even cuddling on one of the hammocks in the early hours of the morning.  YAAAAAAAAAY!  Since then they have had free roaming time lots yesterday and more cuddles last night.  What a relief.  

Thank you all so very much for the advice and support! :) :) :)

My happy ratties also say thank you  :yogiedance:

• Caryn, Rattieroos and Amber like this

Caryn

Caryn

Rat + Horse Enthusiast!

• Moderators
  • 10939 posts
  • I own 21+ rats

That's fantastic news :clap: :yay:

• Amy likes this

RN_Signature_2016.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic