UA-16177645-2

Welcome to RATANOOGA Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Toggle shoutbox RATANOOGA Chatbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Hey Ratanoogians! Don't forget, the chatbox is only for casual chat. Please post actual questions in the relevant section in the forums. :)
@  DiscoMoose : (24 July 2017 - 08:43 PM) sorry about poor Nougat Lolly :( You must be exhausted
@  lollyh : (24 July 2017 - 08:09 AM) Been up since 4:45.please can I have some goodvibes for nougies.she was fine last night but now not so good. :(
@  Caryn : (20 July 2017 - 09:01 AM) There are some updates. I see the forum banner isn't working either, so assume Tails hasn't received the update email. Looks like we can't use it for 3rd party IMG pic posting anymore. Not sure if existing images used on the forums will be restricted or only future posts. Will have to find another file host site :(
@  DiscoMoose : (19 July 2017 - 10:14 AM) hey Lolly, not that I know of . . .
@  lollyh : (17 July 2017 - 03:07 PM) Hey all.just received an email about photobucket & upgrading your account.anyone else receive this email?.:unsure:
@  Rattieroos : (16 July 2017 - 11:17 AM) Hey all, so we can never learn enough... I still don't know why some of my rats chew paper?? They actually eat it. Does anyone know why? :bigeyerat:
@  Rattieroos : (15 July 2017 - 07:15 PM) Thanks Caryn and Lolly, I'm assuming it's mammary, don't know for sure yet. My vet is on leave :( only back on the 24th! I'll see if we can wait but if it grows by next week I'll have to take her to the other vet.
@  lollyh : (14 July 2017 - 10:44 AM) oh no roos. :ratsad: that's awful.i am so sorry. *hugs* .7 months is young.
@  Caryn : (14 July 2017 - 07:13 AM) Ah no, that's terrible. Had one girl, Apple, who also got her first one really young. Didn't have a vet back then who could spay either. Sending :goodvibes:
@  Rattieroos : (13 July 2017 - 11:18 PM) I found a lump on Peaches late this afternoon :ratsad: I think it might be a mammary tumor based on positioning :( She's only about 7 months now. It was such a shock! :ratsad:
@  Caryn : (12 July 2017 - 01:46 PM) Sorry, Tails is the one who organises the Christmas in July. I don't get involved with that unfortunately. Hopefully she will still run it like usual this year :bigeyerat:
@  lollyh : (12 July 2017 - 12:53 PM) awww no roos & amber.i am sorry to hear this. :ratsad: but i understand *hugs* .maybe caryn or tails can do a post & see who is able to partake or not. :) my finances are also tight.
@  Amber : (12 July 2017 - 12:00 PM) I'm so sorry Lolly but I can't afford to be part of Christmas in July either :ratsad:
@  Rattieroos : (11 July 2017 - 09:40 PM) Seriously no money for Christmas in July :ratsad:
@  Rattieroos : (11 July 2017 - 09:39 PM) Thanks Loll :D
@  lollyh : (11 July 2017 - 03:09 PM) Soo its JUly fellow noogans,are we still gonna have xmas in july?. :wub: :wub:
@  lollyh : (09 July 2017 - 10:41 PM) shoo roos,that is awsome news with emo, :clap: .hope he continues that way. *hugs*
@  Rattieroos : (09 July 2017 - 07:16 PM) :D
@  DiscoMoose : (09 July 2017 - 07:08 PM) That's so awesome about Emo! Well done Emo!! You go boy!
@  Rattieroos : (09 July 2017 - 12:47 PM) Correction ~ his IS a black Berkie. Not was :ratno: He's just so rusted now that he's not so black anymore.

Photo

JUN 17: What is the best way to intro adult rats?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: JUN 17: What is the best way to intro adult rats? (4 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the best way to introduce adult rats?

1. Keep them in cages next to each orher for weeks (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Neutral territory like the bath...keep a water spray bottle on hand. (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. Chuck them in together and hope for the best (3 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. Change toys and objects around (1 votes [16.67%])

5. Take them for a drive in a carrier (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Orher.... Please specify (1 votes [16.67%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

ronelrat

ronelrat

Since owning rats i've lost my mind but found my soul

• Premium Breeders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1998 posts
  • I own 21+ rats
It us always difficult to introduce rats after a certain age. What is the best way, in your opinion, to introduce adult rats?
Tell us about your experiences.

CindyR

CindyR

Adult Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2072 posts
  • I own 3 rats

Once I did the cage side by side thing.  I think it stressed me out more then the actual new rat  :P

I have always just put them in and just watched for a bit.  Immediately you can see what the reactions are that will decide if I should just leave or split up.  Thankfully there was no bad issues besides bullying but that's it.  

My best intro was with Ghost.  He just took over the room  :laughCry: and screw the rest.

Rattieroos

Rattieroos

Crazy Rat Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3490 posts
  • I own 11-20 rats
When much older I do the same as Cindy. Sometimes I put them all in a small carrier cage while I completely clean and change things up a bit. Then kind of show them around 'new cage' and still keep an eye on them.. you can generally see quite quickly if it's not going to work out.
My current Ratties: Dove, Marybelle, Rosy, Ivy, Peaches, Plum and Duff (girls) Thunder, Nibbs, Doodle and Wallee (neutered boys) then my intact boys: Emo, Roo, Rodger and Dodger :ratlol: :tummykiss: :Kiss:

Always remembered, always in my heart, RIP my children: Sandy (our first ratty love) Pepper, Mickey, Snowy, Cloudy, Kellogs, Snoekie, Thing 1, Wotnot, Thing 2, Mischief, Monty, Barney, Seamus, Dolores aka Dilly, Jerry, Brian, Alfred, Patches, Stewie, Squeak, Bubble, Treble, Hayley, Onyx, Milo, Roxie, baby Bailey, FiFi, Bass and Bangerang :bigeyecry: :ratangel:

RIP my doggy loves: Andy and Toffee, loved and missed forever :cry:

Amber

Amber

Teenage Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • I own 8 rats
The only adult I introduced was Sammy to my Mischief when it was quite small. I treated them like it was any other newbie, so vanilla essence, time in the bath and then together in a scrubbed clean cage. It went pretty well so I guess I got lucky. Sammy did have the most perfect personality though so that helped.

My Fur Kids: Angel, Raven, Mira, Belle, Selene, Clover, Raichu, Tsarevich, Phelene

My Loves in Heaven: Sammy, Erza , Rose, Vanessa, Katarina   :ratangel:

DiscoMoose

DiscoMoose

is moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1500 posts
  • I own 3 rats

I've never had to intro adult rats to each other. Only always a baby to an adult or adults... so no experience with this... 

moose_sig_1_zpsczsokonu.gif

Caryn

Caryn

Rat + Horse Enthusiast!

• Moderators
  • 10915 posts
  • I own 4 rats
+1 to Discomoose, always just had new babies, never any new adults

RN%20Sig%202016-17.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users